Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Art Journaling: a how to

I love journals.  Usually I have several going at once for different things.  Currently I have a prayer journal, a calendar journal that will eventually be turned into a scrapbook, and an art journal.  

The art journal is the most fun for me right now.  I'm in a bit of a cramped space, so my creative outlets have been limited.  So, this art journal allows me to be creative on a small scale without making a huge mess.  Now, I know there are some VERY elaborate art journals out there, cough, cough...Donna Downey...cough, cough, but right now I just don't have the mental or physical space to work on one.  Someday...

So my art journal is creativity on a small scale, combined with a calendar, combined with a scrapbook. 


This one is for 2013...very much an ongoing project.


In this journal I doodle, sketch, journal, add news articles and more.  



To keep some order to it, I use the same size rectangle for each day.  I plan to create an entry every day this year, and to fit it into my chosen sketchbook I have placed 4 rectangles on a page.  (to make it quicker, I have a template for the rectangle that I can just trace).  Since this isn't a high quality book (I think I paid $4 for it) the paper is pretty thin and things bleed through.  To compensate, I am only working on one side of the paper at a time...so there are blank pages between spreads.  Don't do as I do...buy better quality paper if you can swing it.  I also use a sheet of cardstock behind the page I am working on so that it doesn't bleed through to my other pages.


Here are my low mess tools.  I use colored pencils, pens, markers, glue sticks and the best thing ever...watercolor pencils.  Watercolor pencils are essentially water soluble color pencils.  So you can get a watercolor look with out having a bunch of wet paint lying around.  I just keep several brushes and a small amount of water at my desk.


I work on it as time allows, taking a few minutes each day.  Some things I try to include in each entry are the weather, what we had for dinner, a "this day in history" fact, and I include small doodles or artwork related to the day's activities.  I also try to find a news snippet off of the internet to print.  I don't get wordy with those, the headline is fine.  My goal for each day is to give a quick snapshot of the day..not a detailed essay.


Here is a two page spread again.  I think this will be fun to look at when the year ends!


So get inspired!  Create an art journal of your own or as part of your homeschool portfolio.

Check out other "How to's" through the TOS Review Crew!


Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. I love art journaling. I really like the daily journal entries you are doing. Keep posting about this and showing us what you are accomplishing.
    Blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! What a beautiful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I started mine this morning. Thanks for the 'how to'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the coolest idea. love it. I often journal my Bible studies, but I love the idea of a daily "life" journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting, Your a great artist by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a neat idea, and I love your artwork! I don't know how well this would work for me, since I don't draw much, but I can doodle. I think my daughter might like to do something like this though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we are going to start a new twist on journaling in our school. Very creative and so much fun!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS! AND I used to go to a dentist named Dr. Pryor!!!! Alas, he retired. :( LOVED that man!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea. Thinking of incorporating this into the boys' project life albums for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love this too! Thanks so much for sharing the idea, it is so creative! Off to brainstorm this with my kids to see how we could do it as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Never heard of an art journal before, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got our books.....we are having a blast with this idea. Thank you again for sharing. This will be like a life long journal for the kids plus their creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started this year a prayer journal but nothing like this, you have inspired me to start one. Thank you so very much and keep up the good work.
    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have a picture of your prayer journal any where in your blog? I'd love to see it. You are so creative! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete